Wednesday, July 2, 2008

West Texas Scorpions

So I just got back from an invertebrate excursion to West Texas, and I managed to bring back a few scorpions with me that I just got IDed by Kari McWest. (If you don't know who that is, he's one of the biggest names in the scorpion field, especially with taxonomy.) First up are a couple Vaejovids.

This is Paruroctonus gracilior, found near the famous Marfa Mystery Lights. Forgive the picture quality, but this guy is tiny. I have a feeling it's immature (I forgot to ask Kari how big the adults get). We found several of these hiding in the crown of a small grassy plant that was growing in the area.


Next up is another Vaejovid, Vaejovis coahuilae. There were a lot of Vaejovis species around, and I forget which came from where, but I think this one was found near Ft. Davis. Most were found blacklighting at night while they were wandering around the area. A few were spotted flipping rocks during the day.


And finally, Diplocentrus lindo. These guys have got some real attitude for being so small. Also collected near Ft. Davis.
We also found a couple Centruroides vittatus. I didn't manage to get any good photos of the female I got, but I might post some later. She was collected near Sanderson.

No comments: