Sunday, September 21, 2008

U. mordax Community

Yet another post about my favorite scorpion . . .

I finally reached one of my scorpion goals by setting up a community of this species: one male and five females collected in different areas of Oregon. The male and two of the females were those featured in this post, one female is the one featured in this post, one was the largest featured in this post, and the final female was collected in Eugene in 2007.

Here is the tank in its entirety:

Here's that stone on the right side at a different angle, to show one of the hides I provided:

I believe this is the female caught on Cougar Reservoir and the female that had a brood this summer:

And here is the male and one of the females caught on the same night:

The two others were hiding somewhere that I couldn't access as easily.

I believe the two most-recently caught females may be gravid, so I could have some more broods on my hands before long.

And just for fun, here's a map (looking east) of where these specimens came from:

No comments: