Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Community Ambitions

As stated before, I eventually want to have large display tanks for my communal species. Yesterday I was thinking of what sort of a goal I had in mind, and I came up with something along these lines:


The dimensions I came up with arbitrarily put the two left tanks at 6' x 2' -- if they have square cross-sections, then around 150 gallons!

Clockwise from upper left: H. longimanus, C. margaritatus, T. stigmurus, C. vittatus, H. judaicus, U. mordax, and P. imperator. The whole display would be about 12 feet long by 4 feet high. I'd have to spend a lot of money for a system where I could slide the tanks out to work on each one, especially because false bottoms will make the two on the left VERY heavy.

Each tank has a background photo from the country the species is native to (in the case of the US species, from a specific area they're found in).

Each will also be labeled:


Underneath the tanks would be a good place to keep feeders (cockroaches). I would probably also have a basic shelving system like I do now to keep the juveniles on (most of these species are communal only as adults).

I was discussing this with my fiancee -- to keep things even I'd want install a similar system for her tarantulas. :-D

Now we just have to get a house and I have to get a real job . . .

No comments: