Thursday, December 11, 2008

Centruroides vittatus, widow spiders, centipedes, and a vertebrate

This is the female Centruroides vittatus that I mentioned may have absorbed her embryos. She's finishing off a cockroach in these pictures that she eagerly seized and immediately stung earlier today. She's fattened up considerably in the past couple days and I'm hoping the food and boosted warmth and humidity will help her kick-start some fresh embryos.


My two pairs of Latrodectus hesperus have been cohabiting for almost a week now and neither male has been eaten. Hopefully I'll get some sacs from these girls soon.

I tried getting a shot of the other pair but it didn't turn out -- same with my mated L. geometricus. She's gotten VERY fat and still hasn't produced any sacs yet. Luckily, my other female's sac hatched recently:

I haven't closely examined those two photos, but I estimated by looking at the slings themselves that there's around 80.

Now for a few critters I haven't posted about yet. Here are my two centipedes; the first is an immature Scolopendra subspinipes that I bought as a pling (pedeling) in October 2006. This is the only species of centipede that has a human death attributed to its venom.

This next one is an Ethmostigmus trigonopodus that I bought in May of 2007. I have no idea if it's full-grown (it's a good 2"-3").


And finally, a vertebrate. This is my fiancee's blue-tongued skink. He was hanging out near the side of his enclosure instead of freaking out and hiding, so I thought I'd take a couple pictures.

No comments: